TAC Claims

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC)


We're Here to Help.

When you’ve been injured, lodging claims and paperwork only makes things worse. At Carbone Lawyers, we manage the whole process so you can just focus on your recovery.

No Win, No Fee

Our no win, no fee policy means that most personal injury claims have no upfront fees.

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC)

Every registered vehicle in Australia has Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance included in the cost of registration. This money is used to compensate anyone injured in an accident. In Victoria, the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) administers this process. 

All road users, including drivers, passengers and pedestrians injured on the road, can claim against the TAC for medical and other expenses. They may also pay benefits to the family or dependents if someone has died in the accident.

Who can claim compensation from the TAC?

  • Any driver or passenger injured in a car, ute, van, truck, motorcycle or scooter accident, regardless of cause or fault
  • A pedestrian injured by a vehicle
  • A cyclist injured riding on the road, dedicated bicycle path or shared pathway
  • A passenger injured on a tram, bus or train
  • A worker injured while operating work-related vehicles like forklifts, tractors or quad bikes

What compensation will I receive if my TAC claim is accepted?


If you can no longer work or can only manage limited tasks and reduced hours, you may be able to receive weekly compensation payments of up to 80% of your pre-accident income for up to three years.

If your impairment reaches a 50% threshold, TAC benefits may be payable until retirement age.


TAC Compensation covers costs like:

  • Doctor, hospital and ambulance fees and pharmaceuticals
  • Rehabilitation and disability services
  • Help to return to work or re-training
  • Home and vehicle modifications
  • Home help services like child care, cleaning, gardening and school tutoring
  • Psychology and family counselling
  • The cost of travel to and from medical appointments
  • Travelling and accommodation expenses for a spouse / dependent children in certain circumstances
  • Funeral expenses


If your injury is severe and permanent, you may be entitled to a lump sum impairment benefit. The team at Carbone Lawyers will advise if you are likely to qualify for this benefit.


If the injury is considered “serious” as defined under the law and the accident was due to another person’s negligence, such as driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you may be able to claim damages under common law. This would be in addition to any compensation you receive from the TAC.

What damages can I claim in a Common Law action?

  • Pain and suffering
  • Future loss of earnings and loss of earning capacity
  • Loss of superannuation contributions.

How long do I have to make a TAC claim?

  • Generally, you need to lodge your claim within 12 months of the date of the accident. In certain circumstances, the TAC may still accept a claim up to three years after the accident. 
  • Claims for reimbursement of costs must be made within two years from the date the expense was incurred. 
  • Claims for a lump sum impairment benefit must be made within six years of the accident date.
  • Common Law claims for damages must be made within six years of the date of the accident. 

If you have been in a road or transport accident and are approaching any of these milestones, it is crucial that you seek legal advice as soon as possible. Even if these time limits have expired, you should still seek guidance, as the TAC can make exceptions. The team at Carbone Lawyers will be able to advise you on the best course of action.

TAC Claim FAQs

What is the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) and how does it work?

The TAC is a Victorian government-owned insurer that provides compensation for people injured in transport accidents. This includes medical expenses, income support, and other benefits and is funded through the ‘TAC Charge’ portion of motor vehicle registration in the state.

Drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, and users of public transport injured in a transport accident can make a TAC claim, provided their accident involves at least one registered or registerable vehicle (which can be a motor vehicle, motorcycle, forklift, truck, crane, train, tram etc).

TAC claims broadly cover personal injury claims for accidents involving motor vehicles in Victoria. Compensation may include medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, income support, and lump-sum payments for serious injuries.

Making a TAC claim involves reporting the accident to the TAC, providing necessary documentation such as medical reports, receipts for expenses, parties involved, and other pertinent information to the case, and actually filing the claim. Carbone Lawyers has been a trusted ally for many successful TAC claimants at every step of this process, contact us today for a free claim assessment. 

Barring serious and long-term injuries or other less common circumstances, TAC claims must be made within 12 months of the accident occurring. Processing times can vary, but it is important to file your claim promptly to avoid delays. If you believe you have a TAC claim, Carbone Lawyers can help expedite the process and present all the opportunities for compensation available to you so you don’t have to settle for less.