Making a TAC Claim


"*" indicates required fields

Step 1 of 2

We're Here to Help.

When you’ve been injured, lodging claims and paperwork only makes things worse. At Carbone Lawyers, we manage the whole process so you can just focus on your recovery.

No Win, No Fee

Our no win, no fee policy means that most personal injury claims have no upfront fees.

If you’ve been injured in a transport accident in Victoria, even as a cyclist or pedestrian if a registered motor vehicle was involved, you may be eligible to make a claim with the TAC. It can be a difficult time and having the right support and the right advice will help to make it much less stressful for you. Find out everything you need to know about making a TAC claim below and how to take the first step towards making a TAC insurance claim.

Our compassionate team of personal injury experts have an in-depth knowledge of the laws relating to transport accidents and will work tirelessly to ensure you get the compensation you are entitled to. Carbone Lawyers has been delivering great outcomes for clients for over 30 years.

Read on for information on what you should know about making a TAC insurance claim, how to make a TAC claim and how our team can assist you with your TAC insurance claim today.

What You Should Know About Making a TAC Insurance Claim 

In Victoria, the TAC pays the following benefits for road accident injuries: 

  • Income support (for up to three years if a person cannot work as a result of their road accident injuries) 
  • Lump sums for impairments 
  • Reasonable medical expenses 

Medical expenses covered can include:

  • Ambulance
  • Hospital (including X-rays and surgery)
  • Specialist treatments (e.g. treatments for rehabilitation and psychologist appointments)
  • Equipment and services required for your rehabilitation (e.g. wheelchairs, home help, gym memberships, travel expenses for travel to appointments)

Who Can Make a TAC Insurance Claim?

If you have been injured as a result of a transport accident you will be entitled to benefits, regardless of who caused the accident. These benefits are called ‘no-fault’ benefits. Transport accident injuries include injuries you have sustained in a car, truck or motorbike, as a cyclist or as a pedestrian if a vehicle was involved. 

The loss of earnings benefit is payable if you cannot work as a result of your road accident injury. The TAC doesn’t pay for the first 5 days off work. After that, the TAC should pay you 80% of your gross income (up to a maximum of $1,350 per week) for as long as you can submit medical certificates stating that you are fully or partially unfit for work. These benefits can be paid for up to 3 years.

If you have a permanent impairment from a severe injury, you may be entitled to receive benefits after the 3 years. You may also be entitled to receive a lump sum if you receive a permanent impairment (this can include physical restrictions as well as psychological impairment as a result of a road accident provided your impairment is over 10%. More detailed information can be found on the TAC website.

How To Make a TAC Claim

The first step in making a claim is to collect as much information as possible. Our team can help you with this and let you know what information you will need. Once you have all the information, you can then lodge your claim. 

Our personal injury lawyers are experts at how to make a TAC claim that will ensure you get the benefits you are entitled to. They will help you to prepare your TAC insurance claim in a way that will maximise your compensation (this includes no-fault compensation claims).

We can also assist you with common law lump sum compensation that can include larger lump sum benefits if someone else caused the accident. Common law claims can be made in addition to receiving TAC ‘no-fault benefits’. Our team can also assist if the TAC has made a decision not to cover your treatment costs or will only pay for part of it. Keep in mind that if you wish to challenge a decision the TAC have made, you have 12 months to do this.

Take The First Step Towards Your TAC Insurance Claim Today

Contact us on 1800 369 888 to arrange an appointment with one of our personal injury specialists. Alternatively, you can fill out our online enquiry form.

How can we help?