HAVE YOU BEEN INJURED IN A PUBLIC SPACE BECAUSE OF SOMEONE ELSE’S NEGLIGENCE?
We all know that injuries can happen at any time and in any place. If you’ve been harmed or suffered an injury while on public, commercial or private property because of someone else’s negligence, you may be eligible to make a public liability claim.
Under the law, businesses, organisations and individuals have a ‘duty of care’ to ensure anyone who comes onto their property is not harmed. This covers places like shopping centres, places of business, education campuses, sporting fields, entertainment venues, parks and gardens and footpaths.
Common public liability claims include:
- Slip, trips and falls in supermarkets, public buildings, places of worship
- Tripping and falling on public footpaths and pathways
- Injuries in parks, leisure centres or other public places including playgrounds and gyms
- Dog or animal attacks
- Recreational and sporting injuries
- Sexual assaults or sexual abuse (including historical cases)
- Air or sea travel-related injuries and trauma
- Physical assaults
- Tenants injured in rental properties
- Amusement park and entertainment venue injuries
- Food poisoning in venues
Businesses and other entities that occupy premises are required by law to have public liability insurance. In the majority of cases, claims for compensation are made against insurance companies.
Public liability claims can be complex, and establishing that duty of care has been breached is essential. Whether you’re fighting against a private company, a large organisation or a Local Council authority, Carbone Lawyers has the experience and expertise to get you the best outcome.
What compensation will cover
- Past and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering and the loss of enjoyment of life
- The cost of car and home modifications you require as a result of your injury
- The financial value of care provided by friends and family
- Loss of earnings if your ability to work is impacted by the accident
- Past and future damages if you unable to provide care to dependents
Important things to know about Public Liability Claims
- In most cases, Carbone Lawyers is able to settle the case out of court avoiding the stress of having to go to court and ensuring more compensation ends up in your pocket
- Public Liability claims are made on a No Win, No Fee basis, which means you will not be liable to pay Carbone Lawyers’ costs unless your case is successful. If your case is not successful and you do not receive compensation, in the majority of cases you will not pay any legal costs.
- In the event of a public liability incident, collect all evidence including photographs, witness contacts, medical reports and as much detail as possible about the circumstances of your injury. Call the team at Carbone Lawyers as soon as possible.
- If you’ve been injured at work, please see our information on Workplace Injury
- If the injury took place on the road or on public transport, please see out information on Road & Transport Accidents Compensation
Carbone Lawyers has one of the most experienced Personal Injury teams in Australia. Regardless of your circumstances, our lawyers are likely to have worked on similar cases in the past and know how to get you the best result. We know the strategies used by insurance companies and their lawyers to try and avoid paying your compensation and will be relentless in acting in your best interest.
If you have already initiated a public liability claim but feel frustrated or unsatisfied with how your claim is progressing, contact our team to discuss how we can get you a better result.
If you have any doubts about where you stand, what you’re entitled to, or what you should do next, contact us today for a no-obligation, confidential discussion.