Does TAC Registration Cover Personal Injury Claims in Victoria


"*" indicates required fields

Step 1 of 2

We're Here to Help.

When you’ve been injured, lodging claims and paperwork only makes things worse. At Carbone Lawyers, we manage the whole process so you can just focus on your recovery.

No Win, No Fee

Our no win, no fee policy means that most personal injury claims have no upfront fees.

When you register a vehicle in Victoria, the different charges and acronyms like CTP and TAC can make it difficult to know what you’re paying for. Understanding what the Traffic Accident Commission (TAC) charge on registration covers and what’s involved in claiming after an accident is essential for every vehicle owner and driver in the state.

Carbone Lawyers, with over 30 years of experience in handling personal injury cases in Victoria, has prepared this guide of frequently asked questions about what your vehicle registration covers to ensure you always get the compensation you deserve after an accident that causes personal injury.

What is the TAC Charge?

The TAC, a government-owned organisation, is instrumental in providing compensation for people injured in transport accidents in Victoria. It’s funded by payments made when vehicle owners pay their registration fees. 

Is CTP Included in Rego in Victoria?

Upon paying your vehicle’s registration, or “rego” as it’s colloquially known in Australia, you are also contributing to the TAC scheme. The TAC charge, part of your vehicle registration fee, effectively is your Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. This insurance is essential as it covers personal injuries caused by, or related to, your vehicle in a road accident.

Do You Need Additional Insurance?

While TAC covers personal injuries from transport accidents, it does not extend to property damage. For comprehensive protection, vehicle owners should consider additional insurance policies, such as Third Party Vehicle Damage, Third Party Fire and Theft, and Comprehensive Insurance. These extra coverages ensure that you’re not financially strained for damages beyond personal injuries.

Additionally, if you’re seriously injured in an accident where someone else was at fault, you may want to pursue common law damages. To claim compensation this way you will need a lawyer to act on your behalf to negotiate and settle, the diligent team at Carbone Lawyers excel in all matters of personal injury, especially road and transport accidents.

Should You Use a TAC Lawyer? 

While TAC provides necessary coverage for injuries, the process of claiming TAC compensation can be difficult and overwhelming, especially whilst recovering from an accident. Carbone Lawyers specialises in helping clients understand their rights, and the scope of TAC coverage, and assists in maximising their entitlements under the scheme so they can get the compensation they deserve and can focus their energy on getting better.

Any Questions?

If you still have questions about making TAC claims or other areas of personal injury law our Legal Info Centre has detailed information on common types of accidents and answers to other frequently asked questions.

If you’ve been involved in an accident and have questions about making a TAC claim or pursuing common law damages, contact Carbone Lawyers for a free initial consultation. Our helpful team operates on a No Win, No Fee basis, which means personal injury cases rarely have any upfront fees, call us at 1800 369 888 or contact us online to get your claim started.

How can we help?