WorkCover Claim Rejected


We're Here to Help.

When you’ve been injured, lodging claims and paperwork only makes things worse. At Carbone Lawyers, we manage the whole process so you can just focus on your recovery.

No Win, No Fee

Our no win, no fee policy means that most personal injury claims have no upfront fees.

Has your WorkCover claim been rejected? It can be hard knowing the next steps to take – especially when you are already dealing with the challenges of a personal injury.

Below, find out how our team of experts can help you if your WorkCover claim has been denied. 

Carbone Lawyers has been delivering great outcomes for clients for over 30 years.

Our team of personal injury lawyers is led by John Karantzis, a personal injury specialist with over 20 years of experience.

We take pride in conducting all legal matters with integrity, compassion and a drive to achieve the best outcomes for our clients. 

If your WorkCover claim was unsuccessful and you want to know ‘what do I do if my WorkCover claim is rejected?’, here is how we can help.

What Do I Do If My WorkCover Claim Is Rejected? 

Often, claimants who are eligible for compensation have their WorkCover claim denied.

Sometimes the reason for your WorkCover claim being denied isn’t clear so it can be difficult to know how to dispute the decision.

WorkCover claim disputes can also be complex so seeking legal advice is important. 

In Victoria, if your WorkCover claim was unsuccessful, the Accident Compensation Conciliation Service (ACCS) helps to resolve the dispute through a conciliation conference between all parties involved.

This step is required before a case can be taken to court if an agreement cannot be reached.

Seeking legal advice or having legal representation at this stage will mean your chances of a successful outcome and avoiding court are much more likely.

Our team has a thorough understanding of the legal aspects of WorkCover claims with the knowledge and expertise around appealing decisions and ensuring your best case is put forward.

Steps for lodging a dispute include: 

  • Lodge your Request for Conciliation Form. This needs to be done within 60 days of receiving notification that your WorkCover claim was unsuccessful
  • A copy of the decision letter you received from the VWA Agent is required for you to open a dispute and must be included with your lodgement
  • You will need to provide all details regarding the dispute along with all relevant documentation to support your dispute

Can An Employer Reject A WorkCover Claim?

When filing a WorkCover claim, you need to fill out your WorkCover claim form then give it to your employer who then needs to submit it to their insurance company (within 10 days).

In some cases, an employer may refuse to submit your claim form as the claim may affect their insurance premiums.

If your employer won’t submit the form you need to send a copy of the claim form directly to the Victorian WorkCover Authority (VWA).

The final decision in regards to your WorkCover claim is made by WorkCover, not your employer.

However, WorkCover will consult your employer who may disagree with aspects of your claim that can then impact the outcome.

Your employer can request a review of your claim outcome if they don’t agree with the decision.

Talk to The Experts About Rejected WorkCover Claims Today

To find out ‘what do I do if my WorkCover claim is rejected?’, contact us today to speak with a WorkCover claims expert. 

Call 1800 369 888 or fill out our online enquiry form and we will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.


Our no win, no fee policy means that most personal injury claims have no upfront fees. If you need legal advice or are unsatisfied and frustrated with your current lawyers, the Carbone Lawyers team is ready to help. You can click on one of the links below or call 1800 369 888



A problem was detected in the following Form. Submitting it could result in errors. Please contact the site administrator.

Prefer to talk
to someone?

How can we help?